Under the Marriage Act 1961 there are certain obligations you must meet prior to your marriage being solemnised.

You must be 18 years or over to marry in Australia.


A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with me no less than one month prior to your    wedding date, it is valid for eighteen months.


If born in Australia you are required to provide your original birth certificate, or an extract, plus a          photo ID such as a Driver's Licence.  A current or expired (not cancelled) Passport is also acceptable.


If born outside of Australia I can accept a birth certificate or an overseas passport so long as it hasn’t    been cancelled. If either cannot be produced a Statutory Declaration with details of date of birth and    family details with an explanation as to why they can’t be produced is needed.


If you require a spousal visa letter for Immigration; book me, fill in the NOIM and I shall provide the      letter at no additional cost.


In the case of persons' previously married, a Decree Absolute/Divorce Certificate must be presented,      and if widowed, the Death Certificate is required. These documents MUST be produced before the          marriage can take place, so it is essential that you give yourself adequate time to acquire them.


For information on how to obtain a Birth, or Death Certificate contact or log on to Register of Births      Deaths and Marriages.

If you require a Divorce Certificate contact The Family Law Court (1300 352 000).


Prior to your wedding, both partners will be required to sign a declaration, under the Marriage Act        1961, stating that you believe there is no legal impediment to the marriage between yourself and your    partner. These legalities call for complete honesty.


On the day you shall sign your official Marriage Certificates plus your keep sake Certificate of 

   Marriage. Two witnesses over 18, present at the ceremony, are required to sign these documents



Don’t feel daunted by the whole process as I’m here to offer guidance throughout.


For information regarding Family Relationships:

Department of Social Services


For information regarding a Prospective Marriage Visa and Overseas Marriages:

Attorney Generals Department

Your Legal Obligations